The First Friday movement that has been sweeping the country has finally arrived to San Francisco and nowhere better than in el corazón of the Mission: lower 24th Street.
“First Fridays” festivities are hosted by multiple cities across the nation to showcase and bring new business to a specific area or neighborhood. Taking place the first Friday of every month, neighborhoods invite the general public to explore the local restaurants, watering holes, and enjoy art and music shows.
The very first “First Friday on 24th” will be held on July 1st. The family friendly event will feature discounts, street performers, music and children’s activities along 24th street between Mission and Potrero, and will include an art and food crawl designed to help patrons discover the eclectic wonders of the corridor. Over 35 businesses and organizations will be participating, so there will be something for everyone. Check out the event map to see which restaurants will feature free samples or discounts, and where to find music and art. But here is a quick taste:
- La Parilla Grill and Wok and Go will have food tastings
- Rinconcito Nicaraguense will feature Salsa singer Carlos del Sol;
- Explorist International Records will have a live jazz band
- Wonderland SF Gallery will have a wine tasting
- Precita Eyes and Galeria de la Raza will display local art
- Argentina Shop and Mission Skateboards will be giving discounts on merchandise
- Mission Neighborhood Centers will host a puppet show for kids
- And SF General Hospital will conduct blood pressure and diabetes testing at Liberty Tax
Sponsored by the Lower24th St. Merchants and Neighbors Association, in collaboration with the SF Office of Workforce and Economic Development, the Local Initiatives Support Corp., Office of Supervisor David Campos, El Tecolote, SF Bay Guardian, and the San Francisco Lowrider Council, First Friday on 24th emerged from the community’s action plan to create small neighborhood based events that would bring together merchants, nonprofits and residents. It is their hope that the event will be a success so First Fridays can become a Mission staple. Come and discover 24th.
More information can be found at the Lower 24th Merchants and Neighbors Association website and Facebook event page. Also see the First Friday on 24th poster.